“Two teas please.” Not the usual order one makes at a bar, however this is not a ‘usual’ gig. Mr. Scruff is not only famous for his random, yet surprisingly popular tea stands though. You can expect a full six hour DJ set from the man himself. A medley of hip-hop, jazz, swing and dubstep keep the tunes fresh and the crowd on the dance floor. At Camden’s impressive KOKO, a former theatre, Mr. Scruff’s tunes were accompanied by two large screens at either side of the turn table. Home-made animations and messages such as “incoming bass alert” flashed on the screen, much to the amusement of the bouncing crowd.

The dance floor is packed before you know it and browsing the turnout, the crowd is as versatile and charming as is the tunes streaming from the sound system. Here’s the key point, anyone can enjoy Mr. Scruff for he plays for no genre, let alone age group. This Manchester based DJ had six albums worth of work to pick and choose from, managing to sell out his 11th show in Camden, with no support act to boot. To get you started, check out Mr. Scruff’s ‘Get a Move On’, his most notable hit. Perhaps, trip-hop would be the best description his music, but most of his work just keeps you guessing. His work with the Ninja Tune label, which I recommend for its handful of similarly groovy artists, is a real treat for your ears my friends.

Mr. Scruff will be returning to Koko on Saturday 21st May 2011.

Tickets on sale now.

£15

More info, music and weird cartoons on www.mrscruff.com

Mr Scruff ‘Get A Move On’ by Mr Scruff