Procrastination has only served man kind: The pizza burger, Kite Surfing, Skittle Vodka and now the PistolShrimps! An invitational rugby 7s team formed by Alex Johnstone and Joe Brown whilst trying to revise for their finals…The idea was that the team would be made up of the best players to have passed through Imperial over the past 5 years and a couple of ringers. The intention of the team was to be competitive at the big national tournaments and have a good time doing it.

The name ‘The PistolShrimps’ originated from a Hydrostatics and Shocks lecture where the lecturer claimed that these little shrimps with massive claws accelerated water out of their claws to stun and kill their prey. Supposedly in the process creating cavitation and sonoluminescence… On to Middlesex…Having won the Middlesex student 7s four years on the trot it was deemed essential to enter the Mens Open and win that as well. A few white lies enabled the team to be entered under the title of ‘Imperial College Old Boys’. The first two group games proved an excellent start of the season, tough physical games against the Esher Academy and Hammersmith & Fulham 1s saw the Shrimps smash both opposition convincingly. The team was playing some excellent sevens and it was a shame the last group game and the quarters were against lesser opposition that encouraged bad habits. The semi against the eventual winners Ruislip was a hard fought and very physical affair. Unfortunately the shrimps lost their two most experienced players to injury early doors. Ruislip scored twice before we responded. At 10-7 the game was ours to win, but poor handling ruined a two man overlap which Ruislip capitalised on to run in another try and put the game out of our reach.

Ollie Cox (Who incidentally was asked on the day if he wanted to be an Abercrombie model…#hangingoutthebackoftara) was awarded Shrimp of the tournament for his superb ability to make space and half breaks throughout the day. Whilst we did not win the tournament the baby blue coral background and massive pink shrimp across both the shirt and shorts made us a crowd favourite

Many of the teams that participate in the National Sevens Series started this way; groups of friends ambitious to play good sevens and have fun. The Shrimps are trying to build a recognisable brand that can be enjoyed by both players and supporters. Join us at RugbyRocks at Richmond RFC on the 4th of June or alternatively The Church Sevens on the 18th of June. #Shrimpinlikeitshot.