Proudly possessing one of the most ridiculous tour kits seen at Imperial, 32 members of Imperial College Hockey Club will be touring Malaysia this July. Following last year’s fantastic trip to Slovenia and Croatia, where much amusement was had on overnight trains, and the opposition ranged from under-fifteen internationals to casual mixed teams, the tourists will be travelling further afield to Kuala Lumpur, the Cameron Highlands, and Penang. In Slovenia and Croatia, there were Roman ruins, sun, and enormous cocktails – Malaysia seems more likely to provide jungles, beach and temples.

With the help of our contacts in Malaysia, matches will be played at Universiti Putra Malaysia, in Kuala Lumpar, and Nur Insafi hockey club in Penang. Universiti Putra Malaysia have, worryingly, described themselves as semi-professional, and will doubtless provide a challenging start to the tour.

The touring group, as is traditional for ICHC, is a mix of all teams and abilities, ladies and men. A third of the party will have just completed their first year at Imperial, and just less than that will be about to leave us – what better way to finish the year!

As many of us will be travelling to that part of the world for the first time, some culture-shocks are sure to be had. The club’s last tour so far afield took us to India, where we struggled to fit into rickshaws, and were stunned (mostly) by some of the world’s most famous sights.

This time the trip will take in sights of Kuala Lumpur, such as the Petronas towers and the Batu Caves, before moving onto the hill territories of the Cameron Highlands.

Penang is our last stop, playing hockey on the mainland (where our opposition have kindly agreed to accommodate us), before moving out to the island with its reputedly fantastic beaches.

If reading this has you envious, join ICHC and make sure you don’t miss out on next year!