[photo id=17]Click the linked text to read more about Priya’s trip

For eight weeks starting in September 2010 we decided to embark on an epic, whistlestop tour of South America, following the well-renowned gringo trail. Beginning in Rio de Janeiro, we soaked in the Latin vibrancy and passion of Brazil, crossing the border at the dramatic Iguazu Falls and walking straight in to the beating heart of Argentina’s capital city, Buenos Aires. From there we ventured up to the staggeringly scenic icy mountain ranges of Bariloche, cycled through the vineyards of Mendoza and spiralled on a bumpy bus ride up into Santiago, Chile. After halting for food-poisoning, we sandboarded down Death Valley and crossed over the breathtaking salt flats of the Salar de Uyuni in to Bolivia. There we partied at high altitude in La Paz before ferrying over to the Isla del Sol, where we endured a gruelling climb to our most eagerly anticipated landmark, Machu Picchu in Peru. Our last stop was Arequipa, where we white-water rafted through Chilli creek and cycled down El Misti, Peru’s stony, sandy and slippery active volcano, before finally departing from Lima airport.

South America was an adrenaline fuelled whirlwind of incredible sights, unbelievable views, surprisingly affectionate greetings and memories that will last a lifetime -– I just can’t wait to go back.