As a lot of you must know, because it would almost have been impossible to miss for even the keenest attendee of the Library, the new James Bond movie Skyfall premiered at the Royal Albert Hall on Tuesday night. Prince Consort Road was partially closed off and access was restricted around the area.

A massive red carpet was set up all around the Royal Albert Hall, Bond themes were played on repeat, and even the banners outside were changed to say 007.

Eager fans queued up from earlier than 12:30pm for the event at 5pm, and the road was packed with people by the time it started. The entrance to Beit was closed to the public and only students who presented their Imperial College ID were allowed past.

Many Imperial students took advantageof their buildings and watched the premiere from the Roderic Hill and Bone building windows. Every window was filled with people trying to get a glimpse of Daniel Craig and other celebrities at the event. Lecturers could also be seen standing in the windows and on other places.

For residents of Beit, there was a great view from their windows, toilets and kitchens. The hall was packed with students all trying to find some sort of window to look out of. There seemed to be many different options, all offering different views, and different quality views. Felix managed to perch inside the Union Building itself and take photos from the window of as many people as they could. Snaps ranging from Dame Judi Dench to JLS being told to go round the side rather than the front entrance were obtained, with a varying degree of success and blurriness.

However some students went even further in their efforts to get a peek at the red carpet and managed to climb up onto the roof of Beit Hall.

According to students that were on the roof, who wish to remain anonymous, there was a fire door that led out onto the rooftop that was not guarded by security on the night. The door was on the Beit fourth floor by the east. It said that the door was alarmed, but it was, in fact, not. This door was able to be opened, and students went on to the roof from there. Then, from the outside, there is a door into the Union, which could not be opened from inside but can be opened from the outside.

Concerns were raised about the student’s actions as the rooftop of Beit is considered dangerous due to it being a sheer drop, and it is unsafe for students to be there and so close to the edge. The students added, “I was surprised how easy it was to get on the roof. It probably should be more secure but not too secure. When we went to security, no-one was there Security was very low”. The student added that “Great view! We should come up here more often. Can’t wait for the next RAH Premier”.

Beit Security were unable to comment on the student’s presence on the rooftop. Felix could not get a quote in time about the incident, but is hoping to follow up later and, at the very least, have something online.

Once the audience had all gone into the Royal Albert Hall, the crowds quickly dissipated and the mission (no pun intended) to remove all of the structures that were created could get underway. By 2am on Wednesday 24 October, all of the structures that were put up were removed and the last truck was leaving.

Additional reporting by Tim Arbabzadah