ICSM 5s started their new BUCS season last Wednesday with a convincing win against Roehampton 5s 33-19. It started off as a perfect day for netball, blue skies and with the team showing up perfectly on time, calming their captain’s pre-match jitters. ICSM turned over Roehampton’s first centre-pass leading to them scoring the first goal of the match. At the end of the first quarter the ICSM narrowly winning 7-6, a score line that didn’t reflect their dominating play. In the next quarter, first time shooter Ifrah Hussain, was on fire, doubling ICSM’s goal count to 14. With ICSM’s defence being equally red hot “roeey” fell behind at half time leaving the score 14-9 to ICSM.

In the third quarter the heaven’s opened making for less than ideal playing conditions. The combination of a slippery court and a scramble for the ball led to an awkward fall for centre Lizzy Kostov, and she had to be carried off with an injured ankle. Losing Lizzy a minute before the end of the 3rd quarter led to concern for how ICSM were to continue their great form. Despite injury and driving rain they persevered, scoring more goals in the last quarter than any of the previous. Goal shooter Ifrah thoroughly deserved man of the match for her amazing first game at ICSM. This was an amazing start to the season, lets hope they can keep it going!