The BP Ultimate Field Trip semi-finalists have been revealed, and include nine Imperial students. They will compete in the regional semi-final that will take place towards the end of February for the prize of a 6-8 week internship in Trinidad and Tobago in the Gulf of Mexico.

The three teams were selected from a variety of national entrants by an expert panel of judges consisting of a senior panel of BP specialists from a wide range of business areas. Professor Brian Cox has encouraged students to “get involved,” continuing, “it’s about as valuable as it gets”.

The teams are as follows: the Carbon Busters that include Jia Lin Chong, Shi Yunn Chua and Winson Lee Weng Hoe who are all third year Chemical Engineering students; C-Less made up of Zie Wearn Chua and Wern Chia Chang who are both in their third year of MEng Chemical Engineering and Zhi Xiong Chong who is in their third year of MEng Materials with Nuclear Engineering and the Global Intelligence Consulting with Dun Xiang Ang, Nicholas Kwok and Zhen Xiony Lim who are all in their third year of MEng Chemical Engineering.

The teams will present their ideas at the regional semi-finals starting from February 20, competing against other UK universities. The challenge is to create the first zero carbon dioxide oil refinery by 2030 and up to a total of six entries will be selected for the Grand Final that will take place at a London venue in April.