After a struggle to grab the interest of viewers the last couple of years, the 84th Oscars may have created a positive future for the show. Billy Crystal kept the night running smoothly with his humorous skits, and all the attendees were charismatic and optimistic. Although comedy was present throughout the night, it was a classy and elegant event that when all mixed together, wonderfully celebrated another year of film.

A leg

The real head-turner, attention-grabber and scene-stealer of the night was not J-Lo’s wardrobe malfunction, but the owner of that right leg pictured on the left. It belongs to none other than Angelina Jolie who, in her black dress with a slit down the (you guessed it) right side, was the talking point of Hollywood.

Her leg has since become so famous that it has its own Twitter page, dubbed @angiesrightleg, with cheeky little Tweets “You have to admit I’m one hell of a leg” and “Left leg and I talked - everything’s cool. Next Oscars, she gets the slit” already attracting more than 38,000 followers. Albert Brooks wasn’t impressed by the huge public interest in the leg, writing “I know genuinely funny people who have like 5k followers and this has 25k @AngiesRightLeg #endoftheworld”

Presenting the Best Adapted Screenplay award, Jolie attracted laughter from the audience standing in her awkward pose that showed off her leg.

Speeches

The awards given to _The Help_’s Octavia Spencer (Best Supporting Actress), and _Beginners_’ Christopher Plummer (Best Supporting Actor,) were also well-received when both actors received a standing ovation from the audience.

While many of the speeches made by winners throughout the night were predictable, full of many thank-yous and dedications, Meryl Streep’s speech after a surprise win for Best Actress after her performance in The Iron Lady, was one to go down in the books.

“I look out here and I see all my life before my eyes, my old friends, my new friends, and really, this is such a great honor. But the thing that counts the most with me is the friendships and the love, and the sheer joy we have shared making movies together,” Streep said, thanking colleagues from her entire career.

The award for Best Actor was predictably given to Jean Dujardin (The Artist).