What: Isabella Blow: Fashion Galore! Where: Somerset House, WC2 When: 20th Nov 2013 - 2nd Mar 2014 Price: £12.50, £10 concessions, £6.25 on Mondays

“Fashion is a vampiric thing, it’s the hoover on your brain. That’s why I wear the hats, to keep everyone away from me. They say, “Oh, can I kiss you?” I say, “No, thank you very much. That’s why I’ve worn the hat. Goodbye.” I don’t want to be kissed by all and sundry. I want to be kissed by the people I love.” – Isabella Blow

A brand new exhibition opened at Somerset house last week, documenting the life of the late Isabella Blow; a lady highly regarded within the fashion industry. Born into the privileged world of British aristocracy, Blow is acknowledged with discovering the likes of Alexander McQueen and Philip Treacy, along with being reputed for her own eccentric and outlandish style. Having grown up in London, Isabella studied in New York and later landed a job as an assistant to the revered editor-in-chief of American Vogue, Anna Wintour. Subsequently working for the Sunday Times style magazine, she progressed within Tatler until ultimately earning the role of fashion director.

Isabella Blow: Fashion Galore! features pieces from her extensive personal clothing collection, with items from McQueen and Treacy along with the likes of Dior, Prada, Fendi, Givenchy, Manolo Blahnik and Marni. This is not solely an exposition of fashion, however, but also a commemoration of the life of a complex and colourful lady. Through the use of video, voice recordings, letters and books, visitors are given the opportunity to delve deeply into Blow’s personal life as well as witnessing creations typically seen gracing the covers of high-fashion magazines.

Blow had a meticulous eye for talent and, after witnessing the young Alexander McQueen’s Central Saint Martins MA fashion show, was swift in purchasing the entire collection. The pair developed a close personal and professional relationship in which she helped him develop into the internationally acclaimed designer he was to become.

The world which she helped revolutionise, however, would eventually lead to her downfall. Daphne Guinness, a close companion of Blow’s, stated that, “[Blow] was upset that McQueen didn’t take her along when he sold his brand to Gucci. Once the deals started happening, she fell by the wayside. Everybody else got contracts, and she got a free dress”.

In addition to her professional problems, her marriage of 18 years broke down and she was later diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She became severely depressed and attempted suicide many times, once breaking both her ankles by throwing herself from the Hammersmith Flyover. On May 6th 2007, during a weekend society party, Blow exclaimed that she was going shopping. She was discovered by her sister on the bathroom floor after swallowing the weed-killer Paraquat and exclaimed, “I’m worried that I haven’t taken enough”. She died at hospital the following day.

Admittedly not for everyone, this exhibition is certainly of great importance in recognising a lady responsible for making such a profound contribution to her field. Her life, albeit ending prematurely, was nevertheless full of experiences and encounters that make this exhibition so much more than a superficial array of fashion, but instead a fascinating and original experience that demonstrates the talent and flair of an extraordinary lady.