Over 100 protesters occupied the University of London (UoL’s) headquarters on Wednesday 4 December. The protest took place to demonstrate against the UoL’s “undemocratic and unaccountable” running.

The protesters demanded 10 things, that included scraping plans to close the University of London Union (ULU), paying the London living wage to UoL staff, as well as improving the sick and holiday pay. They said that they would not leave until their demands were met. The protest was not organised by social media, instead it was organised by word of mouth.

50 police officers attended the UoL office to remove the demonstrators. Police arrested three protesters; two have now been released, however, one has been held for assaulting a police officer. The police said that they were there to stop the breach of peace.

The UoL Chief Operating Officer, Chris Cobb sent a letter to the protesters at 5pm on the evening cautioning them “if you do not leave the building peacefully within the next hour (by 6pm this evening) then I shall request our Security Staff to remove you, and to call upon the police for assistance if necessary.”

The ULU commented: “Initial reports indicate that protesters were assaulted by both police and security: thrown to the ground, kicked and punched, and dragged to the ground by their hair.

This evening, the University of London colluded once again with police to evict occupiers, in a violent attempt to harass and silence dissent on campus. Their actions are a disgrace, and show their disregard for both the welfare of their students and their own university community. Occupations are a legitimate form of dissent. When our university exploits our staff, shuts down our student union, and are utterly unaccountable to the students and staff that give it life and make it function, students have no choice but to gain leverage in whatever way they can.”