NBA legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar announced this week that he will be kicking off a diabetes week in the United Arab Emirates. Imperial College London’s Diabetes Centre (ICLDC) is the title partner of the Take a Step for Diabetes Week, which this year will start on the 28th October.

CEO of the ICLDC Bashar Al Ramahi said of the announcement, “We are very excited to have Kareem visit the UAE in support of ICLDC’s healthy lifestyle campaign. His participation in various community events hosted by our centres in Abu Dhabi and Al Ain will really help re-enforce the message that a balanced diet and regular exercise are the smart, simple steps needed.” The event forms part of the ICLDC’s awareness campaign, Diabetes-Knowledge-Action, which was launched in 2007. Imperial College London Diabetes Centre is a “state-of-the-art out-patient facility” that specialises in diabetes care.

It has two centres, one based in Abu Dhabi and the other in Al Ain, both in the United Arab Emirates. Abdul-Jabbar is considered an NBA legend, especially during his fourteen seasons with the Los Angeles Lakers. He was a record six-time winner of the NBA’s Most Valuable Player award and was chosen in the NBA All-Star nineteen times, another record.