Wednesday saw the Duke of York come to Imperial, to host his Pitch@Palace entrepreneurial competition.

The royal, who is the Queen’s third child, stood down as the UK trade envoy after being criticised over his friendships with controversial figures, such as Azerbaijan’s president and Jeffrey Epstein. In an effort to support inventors and investors, the competition allows groups to pitch their ideas to professionals who will help them hone their presentation skills, and potentially invest.

42 teams pitched to a panel of judges in a marquee on Queen’s Lawn, which will house graduates at Monday’s Commemoration Day.

42 teams pitched to a panel of judges in a marquee on Queen’s Lawn

Two teams from Imperial got through the Bootcamp stage this week, and will go on to pitch their ideas at St James’ Palace. They were KNYTTAN, a company digitalising knitwear production, and LifeBox, a lowcost incubator for use in developing countries.

The Duke prepared competitors for the final round in his closing remarks of the day. Taking the stage just after the winners were announced, he quipped, “I bet you’re all glad that’s over”, before giving the winners some advice.

“Palaces are designed to intimidate”, he said, and that since it is “a formal establishment” that they should dress accordingly. Just like your school careers advisor then, really.

The final, where ideas are pitched again in front of a room of CEOs, mentors and potential investors, gives attendees various important opportunities, Prince Andrew warned.

“Networking is very, very important”, he told the entrepreneurs.

It has been known for members of the audience to offer teams financial backing, sometimes minutes after they present at the final.

Although only 12 teams usually qualify at this stage, Prince Andrew said he gave the judges permission let through an extra three teams, since they were unable to cut the number down. The audience at the palace would have to “jolly well sit on their arses and listen”, said the Duke.

Past Pitch@Palace success stories include Imperial’s very own Yoyo, who got to the final of the very first competition. On Imperial, the sixth in line to the throne said, “you have truly spoilt us in these palatial surroundings”.