It’s rare to see bands produce such consistently great music, and the few that do offer substantial evolution of their sound over time. Beach House, on the other hand, have released six albums that all sound very similar, each a slight refinement of the one before. Thank Your Lucky Stars is no different in this respect; it’s a continuation of their sound that presents the dream-poppers at their best.

The sort of stuff you’ll want to snuggle up to in winter

Recorded at the same time as Depression Cherry (and only released a few months after), their latest album strips out many of the layers of sublime production that Beach House have become known for. Luckily, their music still sounds warm and fuzzy - the sort of stuff you’ll want to snuggle up to in winter.

The festive jingle of bells and dream-like keys remain, but there’s now a aggressiveness exposed underneath. Although it’s name might suggest otherwise, Depression Cherry is certainly the less depressing album of the two; Thank Your Lucky Stars is the most melancholy they have ever been.

There are times on the album where the band shows their sound is capable of expanding. The unconventional beginning of ‘All Your Yeahs’, which feels more conversational (by Beach House standards), leads into an almost anthemic climax, whilst ‘Somewhere Tonight’ ends with Victoria Legrand’s unwavering, ethereal vocals against the swells of an organ.

The rest of the album sounds like any other Beach House record, it’s lavish and dreamy with hazy keyboards and drum machines driving it forward.

It was a pleasant surprise when Beach House announced their second album of the year, and whilst it’s certainly more of the same, the darker and increased loudness of the record prove that the duo are still among the royalty of dream-pop.

Thank Your Lucky Stars by Beach House is out now on Bella Union