Last week, The Animal Protection and Education Society (APES) ran a successful talk addressing animal testing, including a speaker from People for the Ethical Treatment on Animals (PETA).

The debate, titled “Animal Testing: Vital or Unnecessary?” was held in the Sir Alexander Fleming Building (SAF) last Tuesday, and featured four speakers who all had varying stances on animal testing. The audience was jam packed with students and staff alike, all interested to hear the views of the speakers on the topic.

The speakers included Maggie Dallman, Head of the Animal Welfare and Ethical Review Body at Imperial College, Dr Julia Baines, the UK Science Advisor for PETA, Dr Brett Cochrane, the Head of Science from the Dr Hadwen Trust; and Tom Holder, a representative from Speaking of Research.

Each speaker was given time to present their arguments, after which the audience were able to pose predetermined questions to the speakers. Before the event, attendees were able to submit questions to the club online or in person.

Felix spoke to Kayla Chiew, Chair of APES, and Marielle Deconinck, the club’s Secretary. They started planning the event last term, and initially wanted a speaker from BUAV, but found it quite difficult to organise. However, apart from that, they were pleased with their event and how it went.

“We were really nervous at first about turnout because it was our first event, but we had 40 people sign up to come along and were very happy with the turnout!

APES is still in its first year, and this was their first event with outside speakers. APES currently has 29 members, and do not have a definitive view on animal testing, but are keen to stimulate debate over a variety of topics concerning animal welfare.