Last week the team from Imperial College London won The Bhangra Showdown (TBS) at Wembley Arena. The event, which was in its eighth year, was organised by seven committee members from the Imperial Punjabi Society. In previous years the competition has been held at the Hammersmith Apollo, and was being held in North London for the first time.

Nearly 4000 students attended TBS, enjoying some exceptional performances from eight dance troupes. Imperial won the event, with the University of Birmingham placing second and Brunel University tying with King’s College London in third place.

Profits from the event went towards three different charities: these included UK Friends of Unique Home (Punjab), which raises money to provide homes for abandoned girls in Punjab, India; Variety, the Children’s Charity, a UK-based charity that provides funding for children’s hospitals, hospices and youth clubs; and Medecins Sans Frontieres.

Aman Dhanwal, co-Captain of the winning Bhangra team, said “we are incredibly thrilled about our win. The performance was a culmination of months of hard work, training and dedication from the team and we are so happy our passion came across on stage. The team became a real family and deserves every bit of credit for how much they put in to achieve this, as captains we cannot thank them enough. A special mention goes to IC Punjabi Society who put on a truly amazing show and made this process one we will never forget. Lifting the TBS trophy has been a dream come true.”