Summer’s here, which means actual free time again without the constant spectre of revision hanging over your head. You might be wondering just what to do with it all. Well, there’s always the classic fall-back; say ‘screw it’ and watch some TV. Here’s a list of eight great shows to help you do just that.

Happyish is a show to check out if you’re a fan of existential satire and/or Steve Coogan. In it, Coogan stars as middle-aged man working at an advertising agency as he trudges through his mid-life crisis and deals with the ennui of modern life. Featuring frequent jaunts into the surreal and wonderfully dark comedy; this short but consistently funny show definitely bears a watch.

Downton Abbey was once described to me as ‘EastEnders for the petty bourgeois’. Looking past the generous serving of douchebaggery in that sentence, it’s not an inaccurate assessment. We follow the lives of the Earl of Grantham’s family and servants on the cusp of the 20th century; exploring the effect that rapid societal change has on their lives. Always expertly acted, and consistently engaging; the series is a must watch for anyone who enjoys dramas or historical pieces.

_Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt_springs forth from the mind of Tina Fey and 30 Rock producer Robert Carlock, Unbreakable maintains its predecessor’s offbeat and unique flavour of humour. The show tracks the journey and struggle of Kimmy Schmidt to fit into modern day New York, after having been kidnapped and locked in a bunker for 15 years. This seemingly heavy set-up is handled deftly, and much of the comedy stems from Kimmy’s interactions with a colourful, yet still believable, supporting cast. If you liked 30 Rock, or are a fan of Wes Anderson films, you’ll like this.

11.22.63 has a pedigree that is immediately evident in the names attached to it; the series is based on a Stephen King novel and stars James Franco in the leading role. It centres on a disenfranchised school teacher, who discovers a time-portal to 1960 in the back of a diner, and is persuaded to try and stop the Kennedy assassination. He quickly discovers, however, that the web of conspiracy is more intricate than he is prepared for. And then there’s the small matter that time itself does not want to be changed.

Archer can just about be summed up with the phrase ‘James Bond as an ultra-alcoholic lovable asshole’. A superbly animated parody of the spy genre; the series chronicles the misadventures of ‘the world’s most dangerous spy’, the titular Sterling Archer. Featuring a stellar supporting cast in the form of his co-workers at spy agency ISIS (2009 was a more innocent time); the show could also easily be described as an office-comedy a la, well, The Office. There are excellent action sequences and consistently funny comedy that has reached meme levels. Starring the inimitable H. Jon Benjamin, this seven season behemoth cannot be recommended enough.

Batman: The Animated Series, is perhaps the perfect distillation of the Dark Knight in any medium. This show is recommended for fans and newcomers alike. It manages to be dark, poetic, heartfelt, and hopeful all at once; capturing all the angles of The Batman, and showing just why it is he endures in the public imagination. The series also contains character defining portrayals of Batman and the Joker, from Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill (yes, Luke Skywalker). If Batman v. Superman left a bad taste in your mouth that you’d like to wash out, or if you’re just wondering what the big deal is with this Bat-guy, this is the one to watch.

Psych is one of those ‘special detective’ shows, where the lead character is able to solve any crime by the power of being amazing. Thankfully, it doesn’t take its premise seriously and has lots of fun with it. Shawn Spencer is the son of a police officer, and a brilliant detective in his own right, who doesn’t much care for the commitment or discipline of the force. So he pretends to be a psychic detective who subcontracts on cases. Much of the humour comes from the excellent banter between characters, and the show features one of the greatest bromances in TV history.

True Detective, as its name implies, is an anthology show, with each series chronicling a different group of individuals dealing with crime. Hauntingly atmospheric, frequently poetic, and always enthralling; the show is a must watch for mystery buffs. The first season is sublime, with powerhouse performances from Mathew McCaughey and Woody Harrelson. But be careful; just do yourself a favour and avoid the second season.