Imperial College London have appointed Professor Ian Walmsley FRS as the new Provost.

Professor Walmsley joins Imperial from the University of Oxford, where he is the Hooke Professor of Experimental Physics and the current Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research and Innovation).

Professor Walmsley graduated from Imperial with a first-class honours degree in physics. In 2012 he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society. He is well known within the physics world for his contributions to quantum optics and ultrafast optics.

Professor Walmsley is also known for his involvement in collaborations within academia. He leader the Networked Quantum Information Technologies Hub – one of four hubs in the UK National Quantum Technology Programme, a £270 million investment by the UK government to establish a quantum technology industry in the UK. He was also involved in the creation of the £100 million Rosalind Franklin Institute, which aims to “develop new techniques and instrumentation and apply them to key challenges in the health and life sciences”.

Professor Walmsley said he was “delighted to return to Imperial”, and he was “look[ing] forward to working with colleagues to continue the trajectory of world-leading research…for which the College is renowned.”

Professor Alice Gast, Imperial’s President, said in an email to students: “Ian will be a great asset to the College, and I look forward to working with him.”

Professor Walmsley will replace Professor James Stirling, the current Provost, on 1st September 2018.