I’m mad, I’m riled up and it’s all you guys’ fault. Why am I angry? I’ll tell you. The Friday before last I was ecstatic because I was going to Fat Freddy’s Drop at O2 Brixton. Talking to people from IC on the day and explaining what glory I was soon to witness I realised not a single goddamn person knew who Fat Freddy’s Drop are… this is unacceptable! I’m sure there are students at IC who listen to the group but my plan to write a review of their performance probably would’ve meant nothing to the vast majority of readers. I’m not saying that Fat Freddy’s Drop are the best band ever or that they’re revolutionaries. I’m simply stating that their music is fan-fucking-tastic and clearly more people should be listening. I’m here to convince you why.

Fat Freddy’s Drop are a seven piece dub/reggae/soul/jazz/techno band from New Zealand. The group started coming together in the late 90s but didn’t form a proper band until the early 00s. Their debut album Based On A True Story, released in 2005, was the highest selling album ever in New Zealand. It stayed on the top 40 charts for over two years. Since then, they’ve released three more studio albums, so don’t worry, there’s plenty to go around.

The band’s mix of influences and styles combine into a truly unique sound that you can’t help but get swept away by. Each song has contagious energy and gorgeous melodies that anyone can enjoy. Dallas Tamaira (aka Joe Dukie) is the vocalist and has the sweetest caramel-like voice that has ever graced your ears, I just love it every time he starts singing. Chris Faiumu ( aka DJ Fitchie) is both the bands percussionist and producer; he’s exceptionally talented. The mixing of the tracks is always spot-on and he makes the percussion not just something in the background but one of the best parts of each song due to his perfect pitching and texture choices.

The rest of the band make up the instrumental profile: saxophone, trumpet, trombone, tuba, keyboard and guitar. Their first two albums are polished versions of live performances they gave for FOUR YEARS before they gathered in the studio! The band is a well oiled machine that have been perfecting their craft and group chemistry over the decades.

I could go on for another half page but it’s probably better if you just listen yourself so here are my recommendations to get started. If you’re looking for an album, listen to Based On A True Story. Want up-beat energetic songs? Listen to ‘Roady’, ‘Pull the Catch’, and ‘Silver and Gold’. Feeling blue? Listen to ‘Dark Days’, ‘Del Fuego’, and ’10 Feet Tall’. Only want smash hits? Listen to ‘Ernie’, ‘Blackbird’, and ‘Wandering Eye’.

If even one person starts listening because of me I’ll have done my job properly. Then maybe I can stop sulking and simmer down.