If you were anything like me as a child, then you loved going to the circus. It was a rare occasion – it never happened more than once a year – but it was always magical. The whole atmosphere was buzzing before the show had even started; the smell of popcorn and cotton candy filling the air and children walking around waving those tiny LED light wands you can buy at circuses. Then the show would start, and I’d be absolutely stunned by the mix of silly clowns, athletic acrobats, and formally-dressed directors and magicians. After the show was over I’d go home dreaming of one day becoming an acrobat and running away with the circus.

Now imagine you could step all of that up a notch (read: a few decades) and enjoy the circus in a wholly new and adult way. For those of you who have been living under a rock for the past five years, Cirque du Soleil is precisely that. They offer a sophisticated and contemporary take on circus which suits any audience. The Canadian circus group has actually been around since the 80s, but only started picking up proper speed in the 2000s. This year they are bringing back one of their shows from 2010; Totem. This means time to suit up and get yourself over to our beloved Royal Albert Hall, where you can enjoy a glass of sparkling wine and a night of fantastic (adult) circus!

On Wednesday January 16th at 7:30pm, it was time for the premiere. Once I’d finally calmed my excitement and come to terms with being in the same room (I mean, it’s a room, technically) as Prince Harry and Meghan, and to there being a blue man dressed like a disco ball hanging from the ceiling, I could focus on the coherence and chronology of the show.

It is a story of the origin of mankind – the evolution of life from the deep sea. The costumes are easily one of the most amazing parts of the show, and the first act brings us back to the chronological beginning of the Totem story, the Palaeozoic Era, using costumes inspired by real amphibian patterns and colours. The costumes we get to see during the rest of the show draw influences from different Amerindian cultures, Mayan culture, a fusion of Italian beach culture in the 80s and Bollywood, extra-terrestrials, and of course a range of different animals.

Totem is not just pretty acrobatics and costumes though; it’s a full circus with music, tricks and clowns as well. Interestingly enough, all the clown scenes seem to be related to water in some way. I think to myself how ironic this is in 2019: at a time where the oceans are polluted by microplastics and we are at brink of significant rises in sea levels, what could be more fitting than a reminder that it was water from whence we all ascended one day?

Other than water, Totem seems to revolve around the quest for flight. The audience gets to see everything from pilots and space ships to humans flying meters up in the air. Again, I think to myself: today air travel is one of the largest culprits of global warming, something the Wright brothers didn’t foresee when they came up with the three-axis control, nor something Native American tribes ever dreamed of when they collected feathers from the sacred bald eagle in awe of its freedom. This speaks to me during the show; the juxtaposition between then and now. Does it have to mean something though, can’t you just sit back and enjoy the show? Absolutely – Totem is a magnificent spectacle anyway. I can’t help but wonder about this timeline juxtaposition though, especially as they suddenly include the popular Fortnite ‘flossing’ dance in one of the acts, a move that ties together the 2010s with the Palaeozoic setting of the show. “Floss!” a little boy exclaims and points at the dancer.

During the night you will get to see everything from the classic bar and beams to unicycles and diabolos (remember that thing from your childhood?). Certain acts will make you think of 2001: A Space Odyssey, while others will remind you of the UV raves of your past. And yes, you will see people swaying from the ceiling in such risky configurations that you’re almost disappointed when they don’t slip and fall! You will see both men and women, as well as representatives from an array of different cultures.

This all sounds fantastic, so how can there possibly be any room for improvement? The clown acts leave a little to be desired and can seem a bit cheap at times. Frequently involving the drinking of wine as some sort of relatable and laughable factor, it undermines the beauty of the rest of the show. The fact that there still are clown acts in a circus of this level seems strange, even. Overall, however, the show is thoroughly entertaining throughout and fulfils the role of a more mature and adult circus. Don’t be as fooled by this as I was though. I may be an adult now, but I still went home in the same awe as I used to as a child, dreaming of one day becoming an acrobat and running away with the circus.

-4 stars