The King’s Head Theatre is a charming location in Islington fronted by an eccentric-looking, cosy pub. Walking past the bar- after collecting an essential beverage- takes you to the small and intimate theatre, already full of tipsy patrons; this jovial atmosphere was truly a highlight of the experience. It was, however, in stark contrast to the themes of the play itself.

Outlying Islands follows the story of two young ornithologists, Robert (Tom Machell) and John (Jack McMillan), who travel to the Outer Hebrides, at the wish of the Ministry, aiming to study the birds that populate a remote island. They spend a month in this lonely place with no company outside of the island’s leaseholder (Ken Drury) and his niece, Ellen (Rose Wardlaw). In such complete isolation, the play ruminates on the expectations of society, sexuality, patriotism and the raw power of nature.

Immediately, the audience feels the remoteness of the island and its inhabitants through the clever staging. Light is an important and effective tool to this end, illuminating only part of the stage at a time and oftentimes mimicking only the weak glow of the lamp that lights the abandoned chapel where Robert and John must stay. Sound is also vital. It is used throughout the performance to create the sense of a cold wind and this, along with the smoke that pervades the scene, draws the audience in to that same sense of unfamiliarity and coldness. Overall, the experience is nothing short of immersive.

In this intimate setting, the inhabitants find that ‘some force pulls’ and the island slowly claims their minds. The civilised manner of John is tested repeatedly by the tactless and carefree nature of Robert. There is tangible tension between the pair on more than one occasion, pitting societal norms directly against natural instinct. In this way, Robert’s character is particularly interesting and in little time, it becomes clear than he will do as he pleases based purely on animal desire. He voices his envy of the birds he studies, commenting that ‘they allow themselves to be taken’ and through this, his want of freedom is painfully clear. He also holds quite venomous opinions against humanity and stresses that nature should be protected from human destruction, obviously far more at home amongst the birds than with other people.

As the narrative progresses, both Robert and Ellen become increasingly reckless, throwing away all regard of what may be considered proper. Primal desire drives them both and John is openly afraid of these developments, as he is driven by genuine and honest feeling; again, opposition between expectations and fancy. All four characters of the play repeatedly refer to the island as a ‘pagan place’ and perhaps this accounts for the apparent corruption of their minds.

Outlying islands is a heavy performance, littered with dark tones and uncomfortable scenarios. Although this can be considered off-putting for an audience, the tale is a powerful one and it’s telling, powerful also. More generally, the theatre is a wonderful one and if this review hasn’t piqued your interest then I leave you with one more fact: The King’s Head has the largest selection of ice cream of any theatre in London.

-4 stars