Monday evening saw Metric transformed to host the 2019 Student Academic Choice Awards (SACAs).

The award ceremony, which was first launched in 2012 to provide students the opportunity to recognise, reward and celebrate excellence amongst College staff, received over 1500 nominations. In February, student panels met to review the nominations, select a shortlist of 48 members of staff and, ultimately, choose the winners (a full list of which can be seen below).

This year’s ceremony saw changes to the usual proceedings, as three new categories were introduced. These categories were:

• Diversity & Inclusion Champion - to reward “staff who go above and beyond what is expected by actively tackling any prejudice or barriers to give all students equal opportunities, ensuring that all students are engaged, represented and that their feedback is acted upon, and harnessing the diversity of the student body to create a better experience for everyone.”
  • Communities Champion - to reward “staff who are proactive in enhancing the experience of their students by establishing creative ways of bringing together staff-student communities, organising initiatives, events or projects that enhance the community’s experience, and creating opportunities for the community to collaborate.”
  • Student Wellbeing Champion - to reward “staff who are proactive in enhancing the wellbeing of their students by making student wellbeing a clear priority, being proactive in their approach to tackle wellbeing issues, and providing effective advice, support and guidance to help students take care of themselves.”

The SACAs cover all faculties, departments and campuses, as well as all modes of study - undergraduate, taught postgraduate and doctoral research. The awards represent an opportunity for students to show staff that the work that is being done to improve the student experience is appreciated and is not going unnoticed. Each nominee is sent an invite to the ceremony, and a certificate. Perhaps more importantly, each nominee is sent a SACAs mug - famous and highly sought after by all.

Congratulations to all nominated and shortlisted staff members.