As one of the world’s smallest countries, Singapore has gained popularity as Asia’s corporate capital, but there’s so much more than business on offer when visiting this South East Asian country. Singapore is also one of the safest places you could possibly visit - so whether you’re embarking on your first solo travel, or just want to roam down a dark street at 4am, you’ll be absolutely fine here, and we’ve rounded up our favourite spots to make your visit unforgettable…

Food

If you’re anything like me, the most important part of any adventure you embark on is the food, and Singapore will most definitely not disappoint. The multi-culturalism that comes from the mix of expats and locals living in the country makes for one of the most diverse menus you’ll ever come across. Singapore’s Tamil society has been well-established for decades now, so if you’re looking to try some authentic Tamil cuisine, a trip to Little India is all it will take. From stuffed dosai to biryani curries served on banana leaves, the range is endless and you’re bound to find something to suit every palette out there.

If Chinese food is more down your alley, then fear not because Singapore has its own Chinatown and the food is TO-DIE-FOR.

Marina Bay also has some great upscale restaurants dotted around, and you get to enjoy the famous Marina Bay Sands evening lights display whilst you fine dine the night away.

Whilst not necessarily a food item, I couldn’t possibly wrap up without mentioning the bubble tea in Singapore. Bubble tea stalls are around every corner, and the local specialty – brown sugar milk tea – is a work of art, and unlike anything you’ll ever try in London!

Culture

With its prime location, the island of Singapore is home to people from all over Asia, and the multiplicity of cultures that comes with migration gives it some of the richest heritage in the world.

Singapore’s founder, Sir Stamford Raffles, allocated different districts to each ethnic “enclave”, and with the public transport being so efficient, each MRT journey will take you to a whole new world.

To fully immerse yourself in Malay culture, pay a visit to Kampong Glam, where the Malay Heritage Centre awaits, as does a beautiful pasar malam (night market) that caters to all visitors.

If you’d like to see how the local Tamil Indian community lives, Little India is where you need to be. Walking around, the broad assortment of scents and colours will get you submerged in the culture in no time, and if you’re lucky enough, try and visit during holidays such as Deepavali, when everything really comes alive.

Chinatown is also a must-visit with all the food, museums and culture at walking distance, as is the Chinese Garden, with its breath-taking views.

Shopping

Get ready to shop ‘til you drop here because the shopping scene in Singapore will tempt you like no other with shopping malls at every other MRT station, all interconnected through air-conditioned underground tunnels – how can this NOT be your scene?

If you’re after designer labels and cutting-edge technology, sports equipment or outlet stores, Orchard Road is the place to go. If you’re after crafts, antiques, and souvenirs, you might want to pay a visit to Holland Village, where you’ll find a market guaranteed to steal your heart with its warmth. More of a small shops and covered markets type-of-shopper? Singapore’s got you covered with Bugis, a district with over 600 shops dotted around in tiny lanes, street-side vendors and high-end fashion stores.

The best part of shopping in Singapore? The 7% tax tourists pay on goods and services is easily reimbursed at the airport prior to your return home, so let’s get spending…