To someone who has never heard of Saints Row before, there’s only one comparison you can make, so I’ll get it out of the way: it’s like Grand Theft Auto. The behemoth that is Rockstar studios’ third-person, driving-shooting free-roam franchise single-handedly created a new genre and also influenced a whole slew of games over the last decade. However, whilst rival studios were taking note and adopting some of the successful elements of GTA, whether it’s the driving or the shooting or the open city, Volition was taking notes. Like scientists citing and Kanye sampling, Volition knew that the better the original source, the more you should put in.

Of course, Volition didn’t just copy the ingredients – they also improved the recipe. Saints Row: The Third is like GTA IV. On acid. This genre requires two important things done right: combat and vehicles. Saints Row doesn’t just do them right, it does them fun.

To start, you’re given the standard controls: left and right shoulder buttons for punches, one button pulls out your gun menu, and an every button which ranges from grabbing people to use as human shields, to commandeering cars by diving through their windows.

There is already a lot of havoc that can be wrecked on foot. Running up to people and pressing punch pulls off a variety of wince-worthy violence. The standard bare-fisted attack is a punch or a kick to the groin. It gets worse (or should that be better?) from there. Giant fists that make punched people explode into a fine red mist, farts in a jar used as gas grenades, and most infamously of all, the Penetrator: a giant, purple, rubber phallus stuck over a baseball bat that swings about limply, are all available to be picked up. Other ridiculous methods of bringing death to your enemies include calling in airstrikes and launching them from manapults. There’s even a rocket launcher that makes enemies dance like Michael Jackson before they spontaneously combust.

Farts in a jar used as gas grenades

Naturally, the designs are just as ludicrous when it comes to vehicles. Fighter jets with heat seeking missiles are casually parked in allotments and, at some point, you can drive a moon buggy through the streets. However, my favourite has to be the Specter: flashy, high-speed hover bikes with machine guns that can barrel roll, a Godsend in such a large setting. The vehicles are also much sturdier than their GTA counterparts, encouraging a more aggressive driving style. Whilst there are occasional traction issues the overall handling is tight and easy to pick up.

The insane amount of character customisation is also on show. Enter a plastic surgery parlour and its possible to change every part of your body and clothing, with the character models good enough to make this exercise worthwhile. In addition, choosing to wear outlandish costumes can earn you Respect, the game’s XP equivalent.

Looks like someone forgot the safeword

Looks like someone forgot the safeword

Looks like someone forgot the safeword

After having fun, earning Respect and money is the next priority. The former can be spent on upgrading your skills, the latter on purchasing property, weapons and character modifiers. Both can be earned through completing various Activities and Diversions, which number one fewer than Heinz has varieties, guaranteeing that the chances of getting bored is slim. Respect can also be earned by doing what you like; yes, running down pedestrians on your hover bike is commended.

The setting this time is Steelport, a fictional city based on Chicago and Detroit, where the Saints are top of the food chain: they even having their own mascots and a line of energy drinks. This fame allows the player to get away with all sorts of hijinks. In fact, this unconventional initial scenario is an excuse for making a lot of items and, by implication, fun, accessible before completing missions.

We also meet our primary antagonists, The Syndicate, a multinational conglomerate of gangs, when the Saints inadvertently raid a Syndicate bank in mission one. Cue the first insane set piece. You’re throw out of the back of the plane, and, whilst falling, fighting off skydiving gangsters and dodging debris and the plane, you also rescue your girlfriend. If that doesn’t make you want to play the game I don’t know what will.

The GPS system, which directs you along the shortest route on your mini map, makes a successful return, as does the ability to restart failed missions immediately after failing. The Notoriety system is also much more forgiving than GTA’s Wanted system, exchanging realism for the freedom to do what you want.

Saints Row: The Third exchanges realism for the freedom to do what you want

Nevertheless, it’s not all good news. There are some minor criticisms of the game, one of which is the dialogue. Voice acting can be occasionally flat and the humour can at times come across as immature or a little forced. The enemies are also not particularly smart, forgoing cover and embracing rush tactics. These are the only foibles I’ve come across in the short time I’ve been playing, but they don’t detract from my recommendation.

Multiplayer modes from earlier games have also been dropped in favour of a more polished single player, but the co-op mode remains: a friend can drop into any point in your story to help you out. I don’t know many many times I’ve reiterated this, but SR:TT is FUN. The sandbox setting means you choose how, where, and when you have fun, and who with. In a game world where even the skyline can be altered, the choices and possibilities seem endless.

Saints Row: The Third sets itself apart by allowing you to offend your own sensibilities in every way you can imagine. It’s a game full of bright colours and Tarantino violence, a world of Luchadores gangs and dildo bats. It’s immensely immature, terribly unsubtle, and totally over the top but, nonetheless, it’s fun in its purest form.