When I first encountered Music Tech, I thought I had seen the light. Finally some people were playing (and making) good music to go out to. No longer had I excuses to swallow inane “party party” muzak, when such an alternative was close at hand. My first evening with the lot was driven by a hazy concoction of deep bass music and liberal liquefaction of my mind and body, to the extent of internal heamorraghing. I hope next Saturday’s apperance at KABLAAM will prove equally enthralling and ear opening for some as it did for me.

…between psychoacoustic stimulus and sensual disembodiement.

The usual glorification of the vibe selector, aka, the DJs, will run throughout, setting up an ad hoc sauna operated by the sweaty vibes of the finest cuts of Imperial’s sweetest jockeys. First up, Imperial graduate and PhD candidate in the Dept. of EEE, SMB will light up the floor with a luscious fusion of deep house and nouveau disco, throwing low-swung beats into old school grooves to get your body moving and put your mind in the right place. Beyond caressing the turntables, he also serves up a regular podcast titled In At The Deep End which can be enjoyed at blog.djsmb.co.uk.

Taking inspiration from his academic pursuits, he seeks to incorporate elements of AI into his deep house grooves.

A bipolar performance from the author’s double alias, lo. batt. / Algo Ritmico will open the minds in your ears with an unorthodox approach to the electric guitar, melted into a transmission of live electronic improvisation. The former was the result of a 4-pack of blank cassettes left in my sock by Santa one fateful Christmas Day, from which all manner of musical experimentation emerged. The latter responds to the urge to explore the outer limits of music, lying somewhere between psychoacoustic stimulus and sensual disembodiement.

Following the skandalous explosions of Operation Midnight Climax, the indie swells and scatters of Black Sands and the literary loopholes of Mikill Pane, the evening’s panaroma takes a turn from the stage back to the dance floor, as the heat and headiness of the live performances gives way to a scorching exploitation of Metric’s concrete foundations and ridiculous sound system.

Inagurating the after party’s excesses, enter Monsk, host of IC Radio’s electronic dance music broadcasts Peer Pressure and The Wave Asylum (co-hosted with ex-Felix Editor Kadhim Shubber). Monsk’s fluid stylings feature dubs from the front of new bass music, served with a sweet slop of honey and milk, as you perspire through your best shirt and hormonal scents flag across the room.

Niceberg concludes the double dessert with frantic bass wallops cracking up a brainstorm fuelled by chipstep, dark d&b and obscene low end.

Metastatic vibrations will sweep from your ears, through your skeletal and nervous systems to automate your kicks on the concrete, as the beats pound into the night after an evening through Imperial’s deepest underground.