1. Imperial man syndrome.

A guy having the nerve to ask you out doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s ‘brave’. It could equally mean that he’s an arrogant arsehole. I know loads of guys who would probably treat you better than the drunk jock-type that just reused a “never that good in the first place” chat-up line on you. They’re just too nervous to ask you.

1. Equality.

You, rightly, demand equal pay and for the right to have kids without your job suffering. You also expect to be asked out all the time and have your dinners paid for. Feminist it is not. You’re paid decently now, so you can (in theory) afford that swanky meal.

1. Share the burden.

Getting rejected sucks, whether you know the person, or you take a chance on a good-looking guy dancing near you on a Friday night. Either way, when they give you that awkward look and make a good/bad excuse, or simply tell the truth, you want to bury your head in a tub of Haagen-Dazs. I know I’m not exactly selling it, but think about how many times the average man (if they have the nerve in the first place) go through that. Letting them do it alone borders on cruelty. So share the burden – ask him out.

1. Don’t wait around.

Okay, so you’re waiting for a guy to ask you out. What if he’s not your type? What if none of them are? You’re going to get really, really bored. By letting the men do the asking all the time, you’re effectively leaving it up to fate – you’re leaving it up to someone who’s right for you to rock up and ask you. Does that really sound sensible to you? Take back some control and you may be a lot happier.

1. Pave the way.

Starting off on a more equal footing when you’re dating could mean that you get treated more as an equal in your relationship, widely thought to be a sign of relationship health and success. Men can also find women who take the initiative more attractive, which doesn’t hurt either.