It may have been 09:00 on a cold, rainy Saturday morning but the spectators for the ladies hockey were in for a treat.

Laura’s goal from an early short corner gave Royal School of Mines a 1-0 lead and set the pace for the rest of the game. Camborne School of Mines reacted quickly with a good through ball, but this was nicely intercepted by Sorcha. Some good work from RSM gave Jill a shot at the top of the D, which went narrowly wide.

Undeterred RSM pushed on, and a bad stick tackle by CSM lead to another short corner for the home team. The ball was kept out by CSM, but RSM soon regained possession. The ball was crossed in and connected with a CSM foot near the back line. Despite calls for a flick, RSM got another short corner and this time a strike from Jill bringing the score to 2-0.

The CSM team reacted swiftly, coming out to the left wing and making it into the D, their efforts rewarded with a short corner. A sneaky cross to the right post was tapped in and the score line was 2-1. CSM kept coming and eventually were given a free hit just outside the D. The ball was passed and a lucky strike sent it through the keepers legs. 2-2.

In spite of some lovely passing play down the centre, and some driving play up the right wing by Celia RSM could not find another goal and the score was even at half time. The second half saw Sang and Sanghee gain ground in the middle, leading to a shot by Teddy which narrowly went over the crossbar.

In response CSM pushed forward, winning a long corner, then a short corner. The ball came out and was slipped right, leading to a left post strike and a goal. CSM taking the lead at 2-3. It wasn’t long before RSM replied with their own short corner and another goal for Jill. 3-3. Soon after an amazing run by Teddy up the left lead to a free hit just outside the 25. Teddy taking the ball left again and winning another short, and another goal for RSM giving Jill a hat-trick. Not long after and Sang and Jason (the RSM umpire) have words, Sang getting a green card. With five minutes left to go RSM win another short.

Teddy sends her stick flying with the ball but play still goes on and a cool headed Celia gets a goal. 5-3 RSM!

Camborne had no time to come back and the match ended in a victory for RSM, celebrated in style with a cheeky streak.

After the amazing win by the ladies, the mood in the camp was high as the RSM men’s team took to the field. The game started with a lot of tempo, but it just didn’t look like being RSM’s day. RSMs only goal was curtesy of a nice shot by vetran player Nick Jones, but it wasn’t enough as Camborne managed to get four past the RSM keeper.