I have a younger sibling. He’s quite the games enthusiast. Whenever I visit home, I notice some new console videogame being played on the TV and I’m often greeted with an explanation of the gameplay. I can’t help but notice, however, that commitment to single games has weakened over the years, and it appears that stopping halfway through a level to play something entirely different has become acceptable behaviour.

Now, it could just be that I’m getting old, but it would appear that the games of this generation no longer offer sufficient reward for the various hardships that players are forced to endure. The motivation to continue is, as a result, severely diminished.

I remember the days of true Role Playing Adventure Games, where the player would spend numerous hours attacking a base, attempting to defeat a single boss or breaking through whatever obstacles were placed before them, and they would be sufficiently rewarded afterwards. Storylines from the very structured (Pokemon, attaining badges as one fought from gym to gym across the land), the magical (Golden Sun, Final Fantasy), and the downright Freudian (Super Mario Sunshine, where Bowser Jr. had been duped into believing Peach was his mother) were able to completely immerse the player. This was achieved by a layer of role-playing which isn’t seen nowadays. A layer supported by external paraphernalia.

Gone are the days of a single franchise taking the world by storm. This was, in my opinion, the key to immersive gaming

Gone are the days of a single franchise taking the world by storm. This was, in my opinion, the key to immersive gaming. You would pick up a copy of Pokemon Red. You’d follow the anime closely. You’d collect the cards. Playing, you’d run into Articuno in Seafoam Islands and this would ignite a memory linked to the brief moment in the opening of the cartoon series where you get a glimpse of it with Zapdos. I would shed a tear upon viewing the opening sequence now, shamelessly. Now sure, Articuno is no Charizard (card-wise), but the point to consider here is the vast array of external influential and consistent factors contributing to the game’s ability to engage.

What is Pokemon now? A cult. Players became die-hard fans of the original 151. Gamers lack the external consistency they once had and now crave, hence we end up forever switching with the intent to complete them as soon as possible, not appreciating whatever thin storylines are presented. Can anything save us now? I’m hoping for Portal 2.