On a cold Wednesday evening, IC M3 clinically dispatched St. Bart’s M2 to reach the dizzying heights of the top of ULU. A 3-0 scoreline did not flatter IC, with our boys creating many chances and defending solidly throughout.

The first half was all IC, but no goals came. Throughout the entire half, IC applied a lot of pressure on St. Barts and played the most of the game in the opposition’s D. Save for one break, which saw St. Barts squander a one-on-one, IC were in control throughout, with Fresher Ed and Tharun dropping deep into midfield and creating lots of space for wing wizards Cockerel and Pappity-boopity-poppity to exploit. A stunning run from Free Willy should have earned the opener, but he choked at the crucial moment. Despite this dominance, IC had nothing to show for it, 0-0 at half time.

An inspiring talk from goalkeeper/captain Sifter, who was probably rather bored at this stage, reminded of us to just do the basics and not get sucked in to the game. The words were so standard, but needed saying as the M3 has a habit of forgetting.

Straight from the second half push-off, IC won a short and piled on the pressure. After taking a couple of minutes (seriously, it’s pretty ridiculous how long we take) to decide what routine to do, Pappity-boopity-poppity slotted in following Aquaman’s entirely intentional (not at all a scuffed shot) dummy.

If the first goal was good, the second goal was better. The same routine left St Bart’s stunned again. This time, Munter Gatherer’s pass pierced through the defence, leaving Aquaman with a simple touch into the goal. 2-0 the score, and it was no more than what IC deserved.

The third goal was something else altogether. A loose ball popped out from Designer V and Fresher Ed played a Cook-esque straight drive that crashed in off the post. A stunning goal and a stunning finish to the match.

It should be noted that victories always start with the defence, and Fritzl, Eager Beaver, B. Tablet, Free Willy and Gingypops had an outstanding game.

Well done to the whole team, and here’s to hoping they can stay on top for a while…

P.S. At no point, did Kirby score. Ever.