RAG held their charity bike auction last Thursday, raising an impressive £4,500 after selling roughly 30 bikes.

The auction took place on the steps leading up to Queen’s Tower, and was attended by around 150 students. Half of the funds raised will go to the Bike Users Group (BUG), a student club that oversees students who cycle on a regular basis.

The other half went to RAG’s main charities, twenty20, Kids UK and Lively Minds.

RAG also had police present to mark bikes to track them if stolen, and mechanics there to check over the bikes themselves. The bikes, sourced from those left on campus over the summer, came in various shapes, sizes, and states, but many went for prices below their actual face value.

The auctioneer was Neil Mosley, head of Sport Imperial and apparent owner of a megaphone.

RAG have also announced their charities for their upcoming RAG week; they will be raising money for Tiny Tickers, Mines Advisory Group and St Mungo’s broadway.

RAG Chair Ben Fernando said of the day: “An absolutely amazing day that raised a huge amount of money for our chosen causes.

“We’re proud it went so smoothly and that so many people were able to become more environmentally friendly through the purchase of a cheap bicycle.

“We look forward to more successful bike auctions!”