The story about Harambe gained global attention this summer. Then the Cincinnati Zoo wrote “We are not amused by the memes, petitions and signs about Harambe.” And that broke the internet. The number of memes created skyrocketed. Songs were composed, signs were made, petitions were signed. God it was hilarious. But it seems like nobody really cared about the gorilla.

“Dicks Out For Harambe,” isn’t empathetic. It’s a joke. The mythical creature of Harambe the Silverback gorilla, has grown beyond just a tragic incident. Don’t get me wrong, I still think Harambe memes are hilarious, but the joke is very different once one isn’t ignorant about the sequence of events. Watch the footage and make up your own mind if the mom should be shot instead of Harambe?

What were they expecting? A politely worded apology from all the h8ers and a gift basket? This is probably why old people shouldn’t use the internet

If there is something that this taught Cincinnati Zoo though, is that you do not mess with the internet. What were they expecting? A politely worded apology letter from all the h8ers and a gift basket? This is probably why old people shouldn’t use the internet.

I’m not mad about the Cincinnati Zoo deleting their twitter account (just like they deleted Harambe) but maybe we should reflect more on our own ignorance regarding trends such as Trump, Pepe or even Harambe.

Up until writing this article I’d never seen the footage of what happened during the Harambe accident. My brief sorrow was followed by a boatload of laughs. Harambe being shot is tragic. And the Harambe joke has spread more joy than tears on the internet, so is it a good thing?

Finding the truth in a turmoil of nebulous media messages is difficult. Take the US election, where voters seem to be more worried about their candidate being likeable, rather than their proposed tax codes or foreign policy. You do not have to be a genius to be able to undermine Trump as a sexist megalomaniac who wants to finally be taken seriously. But sorry Donald, maybe the white house is not the best place for a billionaire who will do anything for money.

I enjoy my internet rough around the edges. It is the only way it can capture the Zeitgeist of a joke. However real time self-reflection on pop-culture is not exactly something the internet excels at. When is one ruining a joke, and is one making a point? Hard to say. Especially now with US elections coming around it seems like some Americans should wake up and stop laughing about the joke they created. How would Donald even lead the US with such tiny hands?