This article was published as part of FELIX’s Sex Survey launch. Do the survey here.

I’ve been called a slut more times than I can count, both as an insult and as a compliment. Whilst some people recoil from the notion of a sexually empowered female, many celebrate us girls who openly love sex.

I’ve long felt the idea that men love sex and women need love is absurd. I’d rather have steamy sex than cuddle watching The Notebook. I’d rather fuck than make love. I’d rather my partner call me a little bitch than his little princess. Not all girls like hearts and flowers, lots of us like primal, raw and outright dirty sex. And that is totally okay. I’ve slept with many people, both male and female. I’ve kissed even more. New sexual experiences are exciting and I love exploring new things. What’s the harm in trying? After all, you never know unless you try; a bit like trying new foods. That is not to say you should be reckless or take risks – contraception, protection and self-care are necessary.

I have a regular partner with whom I explore the limits of sexuality in a safe and controlled way. Sometimes we get it wrong but we have been on an incredible journey together, which would have been impossible without trust. Trust, respect and communication are so important when exploring sexuality.

I embrace my sexuality and unashamedly own it. It is liberating to love sex and not give a damn what anybody else thinks. Go along to a fetish party and you’ll see orgies, naked bodies and couples having sex publicly. It is not intimidating, disgusting or wrong. On the contrary, it is liberating, empowering and accepting. Society frowns upon both nakedness and sex, yet they are not bad: after all it’s only natural.

We live in a society that celebrates male players and shames female sluts, but that need not be the case. Increasingly we are accepting female sexuality and those who don’t are jeered at. Western society is a long way from perfect, but it is possible for us girls to be sexually empowered. If we refuse backward notions of smothered female sexuality and openly embrace ourselves we can shake the stigma of being a slut.

I don’t feel judged for being a slut, nor do I take offence when I get called one. Not because people aren’t judging me, but because I don’t accept it. The word slut should not be derogatory. I’m proud to be a slut because it means I’m sexually empowered.