ICU has opened a branch of The Homeless Period, an initiative lobbying government to provide a yearly allowance to homeless shelters for the provision of female hygiene products to shelter seekers. The founders of the initiative believe that just as access to condoms and razors is facilitated for men by these institutions, access to clean clothes as a result of access to female hygiene products should not be a luxury.

The initiative launched its first Homeless Period Imperial week last May, calling at students to collect as many sanitary items as possible for donation to Spires, a homeless shelter in Lambeth, South London.

Lottie Whittingham brought the scheme to Imperial after noticing the lack of an official branch at College.

Altogether during Homeless Period Imperial week, 734 sanitary pads, 686 tampons and £700 were donated to Spires.

A prize was meant to be awarded to the person who collected and donated the most tampons and sanitary towels by the end of the week as well as for the person who shares the most photos of men buying sanitary items to the Homeless Period Imperial Facebook page to help break the stigma associated with men buying female hygiene products.

However due to lack of interest in the competition the prizes will be rolled over to a raffle which should be organised in the next few months.

Whittingham is hoping that Homeless Week will take place at Imperial again next year. “I’m looking for people to take it over when I leave as I’m in my penultimate year. We gave all donations to Spires shelter in Lambeth and they are very grateful!”