A review of the cladding used on faculty buildings has confirmed they pass regulations. The tests, which were ordered by the government following the Grenfell Tower fire, were carried out over the past several months, with assistance from an external consultant. The review found none of the buildings used the composite cladding that had failed governmental standard.

The results of the review were made available to Felix around five months after Woodward Buildings, in North Acton, was found to have cladding that failed the safety tests. When asked in December of last year, a College spokesperson told Felix they were awaiting tests carried out by the Building Research Establishment (BRE) and advice from consultants before carrying out the replacement. They said: “We expect to have the results from these tests early in the new year and will take all necessary steps.”

“College are awaiting test results before replacing Woodward’s cladding”

The review was unable to identify the exact specifications and origins of the polycarbonate panels used to build the greenhouse atop the Roderic Hill building. A spokesperson for the College said polycarbonate “often contains some form of additional fire retardant”, and the panels usually have a “reasonable” level of flame resistance. The greenhouse, which is not part of Roderic Hill itself, was established in 2012 as part of Imperial’s investment in plant sciences.

The tests were ordered following the tragic Grenfell Tower fire, which began on the 14th June 2017, and spread rapidly through the 24-storey structure, leaving 71 people dead.