Physical Theatre company Gecko have produced ‘The Wedding’ to tackle the large social issues we face today. Performed many times since its development in 2015 and toured over 2018, this presentation was shown at the Barbican as part of the London International Mime Festival 2019. Created by Amit Lahav it fuses impressive staging, movement, fast choreography, music and minimal dialogue made of many languages.

The show opens with giggling and laughter, with the performer sliding down a chute landing on teddy bears representing the innocence of childhood. Within no time a wedding dress is fitted and the performer after brief hilarity is quickly wed to the workplace. This sequence repeats and we see how ‘The Wedding’ is about our marriage to society as much as the process.

The workplace seems stifling and oppressive. At one point four performers are inside a tiny box, three managers quizzing one man. The small window begins to steam up and you feel the pressure rising, as if you were also inside. In a striking moment the man rises from the box, appearing to be hung from his own tie. In another a woman fights for her individuality among the many, struggling to breathe, trying to convince others to join her. The use of breath was extremely powerful throughout the piece, really heightening the tension at crucial moments.

Other workplace problems are also explored. A striking scene using white props shows an internal struggle between the domineering work life and alcoholism. Another moment shows the strive to become a manager, with them all reaching for a red suitcase during some beautiful group choreography, for it ultimately to be won at random.

The fast-paced nature of the workplace is sharply contrasted by the refugee characters. What starts off as a humorous addition, one character coming from a suitcase followed by three others. Later becomes tragic. Towards the end, one of the refugees is sickeningly turned into a dancing monkey for the bosses becoming clothed in a bomb vest and gun. This leads to a brutal hate crime, in a scene hard to ever forget.

Alongside these struggles the elite were shown towering above on a high table, without the need to step through the marriage process. Thus, it was immensely cathartic watching the socialist revolution rise at the end, where the elite was pulled down from stilts. Followed by a moving group choreography where all were entwined to rebuild each other. The final rhythmic chorus of the show brings hope of a collective unity, often found lacking in these political times.

The whole piece is led by a strong cast of 9 who were given a well-deserved standing ovation. It was refreshing to see a piece not shying away from a political narrative, regularly breaking the fourth wall to connect with its audience.

With impressive staging and lighting throughout, the choreography and music perfectly combine to make an unmissable performance. One which will leave you full of hope for society, alongside anguish at the many injustices.

-5 stars