On Sunday 17th November, a rowdy group of 56 of Imperial’s finest specimens woke up in the wee hours to catch their 6:36 train from London Bridge. While most would cringe at the idea of such an early wakke-up on their rest day, the ICXCAC runners all rose to the challenge and (nearly all) made it on time as it marked the beginning of a very special day in the club’s traditions: the Brighton 10k: a flat and fast race on the seafront with a main out-and-back loop followed by a 1.5km out-and-back finish which provides all the runners with relentless encouragement from their teammates, regardless of their position in the race.

While some finished (and others just began) their night on the train to the seaside town, the sun rose and started shining upon the athlete’s game faces. With a habit of breaking PBs at this event, and perfect race conditions on the day, all were ready to put in strong performances.

Heading to the Bright Helm Wetherspoons first to get changed, have one (or two) last coffees and loo stops, the team then set out to the waterfront to drop their bags, get their face paint on and warm up for the main event.

At 9:30, the gunshot signalled the start of the competition and the 1500-strong crowd hit the tarmac and the fierce race was on.

The boys were led by super-speedy Niki Faulkner who managed a rapid 32:19 to take overall 12th in the race, hot on his heels was captain, Henry Hart, with 32:44 and an overall 15th spot. Mihaly came in just 10 seconds behind. Tour Sec Misy also came in an outstanding 25th place in a blistering 33:36! Treasurer Tom Bayley ws next in for the men in 46th place in 34:45, followed by Euan Bell in 54th place in 35:07, just a second ahead of men’s captain Charlie McFadzean!

First of ICXCAC’s girls was Women’s Captain Georgia Curry who adds to her strong season by nailing a 10km PB with 36:50 and also took overall 9th Women. Sarah Johnson came in close behind in 36:58, followed by Social Secretary and rising star Alix Vermeulen in 38:18.

Catherin Spurin finished in 42:20, gaining a 10km PB which means she’s managed to PB at 5km, 10km, half-mara, mara and ultra this year - no mean feat!

Other notable performances include Jessica Dring-Morris who smashed her 45 minute target by coming across the line in 42:46. As well as Charlotte Barratt who succeeded on the negative splits, finishing the race with a 4:10min/km to come across the line in 44:47!

In the alumni, Chris Thomas put in an extraordinary performance coming 5th overall in a mind-racking 31:42 and Fergus Johnson made a welcome return to manage a 10km PB of 33:26 which also featured a new 5km PB!

After a nice lunch, some rest, a few pints and a swim in the sea for the most courageous, the team headed home mid-afternoon, feeling content from this very successful day.

Brighton rounded off a cracking Autumn term for our team with strong efforts both in training and at races from all 200 (and growing…) members.

If you want to get involed with the club, make sure to contact us at [email protected] for more information!